Accident and Emergency Policy


It is my policy to keep children safe when they are in my care.

My premises have been checked by Ofsted and they meet the requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage in England. I also regularly review, update and practice fire evacuation procedures. I record dates and times of fire drills and any actions taken.

Accidents to minded children, childminders own children, or the childminder


As a registered childminder, I am legally required to have a valid first-aid certificate before registration.

I can administer basic first-aid treatment, and my first-aid box is clearly labelled and easily accessible, this will always come on outings with me too. Parent contact numbers are on my emergency plan and are kept securely with the first-aid box. A copy of Little Bees emergency plan is also in my car and one is held by Mr Dan Orme and is available at all times if he should be contacted during setting hours in the event of any emergency.

I hold written permission from parents (which is held in the Child’s Record Form) to seek emergency treatment for their child if it is needed.

Procedure (how I will put the statement into practice)

If there is an accident to a minded child or my own child:

  • First, I reassure the injured child while making sure that the other children in my care are safe. This may mean strapping a baby in a buggy or sitting an older child somewhere safe where I can see them.

  • Then, if the accident is a minor one and requires only basic first aid, I will deal with it myself. If not, I will ring 999 for help.

  • If I have to accompany or take a child to hospital, I will take the other children with me and contact all parents as soon as possible and you will be expected to collect your child straight away.

If I manage to deal with the accident myself, then I will tell the affected child’s parents as soon as reasonably possible, but always within 24hours, and advice of any first aid treatment given.

If I accompany or take a child to hospital, I will contact the child’s parent and ask them to meet me at the hospital.

If I or my own child have an accident, I will get the nearest responsible adult to help.

I will do my best at all times to make sure the children in my care are safe, reassured and kept calm.

Accidents off site:

I will carry parents’ contact details with me when I am away from my home, in order to follow procedures above should an accident occur off site. I carry a written emergency plan with contact details at all times and a copy is held in the setting (which is used as part of our evacuation plan during fire drill); I also have current contact details on my mobile which has credit and is kept charged at all times.

Other emergencies:

Should any other emergency occur (such as a terrorist attack, or a member of my family becoming ill in my home) I will contact parents as soon as possible. I expect that parents will also contact me in the event of any accident or emergency which may befall them.

Should it not be possible for parents to contact me, then I will keep the children safe until such time as parents can make contact with me.


I will record all details in my accident book, and make these available for parents to sign and provide a copy for parents.

If the incident is significant I will inform Ofsted, the local child protection agency, the Health and Safety Executive and my insurance company as soon as is reasonably practicable but in any event within 14 days of the incident occurring.